Friday, March 23, 2012

Running as a Way of Life

When we arrived in Nassau yesterday we first spent some tim looking at the small shops in the market in the first building you have to enter off any cruise ship that pulls into port.  We enjoyed that and when we finally exited we were approached by a gentleman named Eric who offered us a ride in a horse drawn carriage pulled by his horse named Princess.  Despite nearly every part of our intuition saying to use, "is this really such a good idea" we went.  It was great because afterwards, he referred us to a specific certified hair braider who braided all of Sherry's hair for a look that makes her look even more amazing than she already did.  And Sherry was able to negotiate a nice price.  We learned that nearly everyone in Nassau who owned a shop was willing to make a deal.

On the carriage ride we also passed a restaurant called Conch Fritters where we eventually ended up for lunch, ate the dish that the restaurant is named after, and enjoyed sweet potato, plantain, and, in my case, the local beer.

Thus, there were great experiences we would not necessarily have enjoyed without the carriage ride.

One of the things that Eric told us on the ride was that the island was 21 miles across.  My mind, having just finished Born to Run and exercised most days on the trip, immediately flashed to, "I wonder if they have a marathon."  Interestingly, when I mentioned it to Sherry later, she said that she was thinking something similar, like "Oh, Kevin could just run across."

In some ways, it goes nicely with the other entry I just wrote focusing on learning about what is missing in life.  I have no doubt of the importance of running and exercise for my next 20 years and my wife fully appreciates that in a way I doubt she did until recently.

And, about the importance of running, another quote from Born to Run, is that people don't stop running because they get old.  Instead, they get old because they stop running.  Of course, that is based on the thesis that humans were evolutionarily "born to run".   I buy that thesis. I'm not sure everyone does.  I have certainly seen what continuing to run can do for the men and women who do. And I fully intend to.

I also figure that in terms of the gifts God has given me, my mind will ntop thinking because I get old.  It will someday get old, if I stop thinking and writing.

It's just one more lesson illustrating how when we use the gifts God has granted us we usually come out ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment