Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dn 3:14-20, 91-92, 95

The Catholic church has daily mass. The verses in Daniel that make up the title of this entry reflect yesterday's Old Testament reading. While I did not attend mass yesterday, I have begun to look to the readings each day as a source of inspiration for my writing.

So, what do I take away from the verses in the book of Daniel? Well, aside from some pretty cool names (King Nebuchadnezzar, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego) the story is about how the last three of the men mentioned refused to turn away from their belief in God even at the risk of being exposed to a "white hot" furnace.

The reading ends with:

Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who sent his angel to deliver the servants who trusted in him; they disobeyed the royal command and yielded their bodies rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.

This is another reflection of a Bible story with the people being "all in" and trusting in God. Once again it is a reminder to me (as there have been so many during this Lenten season) that life is all about being "all in" and being someone whom others can trust and about me putting my trust in my values, my beliefs, and God.

I suppose the signs of the importance of things like this have always been there. I am just making more of an effort to notice, comprehend, and integrate them into my life this year. It is a pretty awesome feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment