Wednesday, March 28, 2012

John 11:1-45

In looking for some inspiration for today's reflection, I came across this long reading. It is the story of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus and how Lazarus had died and been placed in a tomb for four days while Jesus, who had been informed that Lazarus was ill, was on his way. Then Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. When thinking about this reading, it was not for the fact that Jesus raised Lazarus. Rather, for the trust that both Martha and Mary--but especially Martha--showed in Jesus. In particular, two quotes seem to demonstrate just how much she was "all in" when it came to her belief.

21-22: “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. [But] even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.”

27: "Yes, Lord. I have come to believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world."

Both of these show Martha's belief and trust.

In my ow life, I try to give my all to my beliefs and my value system.  Some days I think I do a pretty good job.  Other days I fail miserably.

And, obviously, I will not perform the miracles Jesus performed, but I do also try to be the type of friend to others who can be trusted.  In that, I sometimes fail, but I must be pretty good.  I seem to be able to put friends at ease.  Many people over the years have commented that I am a good listener.  (Before I was married--now many years ago--I used to find that an annoying thing to be told as numerous people I might have been interested in dating would confide in me but not be interested in dating.  However, now, I see the importance of the role of confidant.)  Finally, I apparently do a good job of explaining things most of the time.  So, people place trust in me that I try to live up to.

I'm not saying that my insight is particularly profound and that no one else would have thought of what I just brought up.  But I wonder how many people who come across this reading would focus on the strength of will and trust and the very humanity of Martha and her relationship with Jesus rather than on the power of Jesus to raise Lazarus.

No comments:

Post a Comment