Saturday, March 24, 2012

Psalm 147:10 (and 11)


This is not a race time or a bib number.  This verse came from a search I did this morning.  Between my bike and elliptical workout two days ago and my swim with the dolphins (with bad form and fins) yesterday, my calves have been very tense since we got back on board and headed for home yesterday.  So, this morning before I ran, I first searched calf in the King James version of the Bible I have on my iPhone.  Most of what came up was things about a molten calf or a fatted calf.  Those are interesting to ponder but didn’t speak to me and were, of course, about a different kind of calf.

So, I searched for legs.  What came up was Psalm 147:10 and into 11:

He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh  not pleasure in the legs of a man.  The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Why does this speak to me?  No matter how much I train, God does not care whether I qualify for Boston.  Unless by qualifying for Boston I use all the gifts I have been given and learn and share important lessons along the way.

God does not care about the strength of my body but about the strength of my will and my spirit as I try to follow the path that has been set for me.

God does not care about how fast I can run but about how fast I can learn the lessons of being a good follower and use them to make this world as much like God’s kingdom as possible.

God does not care how far I can run, but how far I go to serve others.

So, rather than feeling sorry or hurt, I simply push ahead.  Taking care of myself.  Caring for others.  And following God as best I can.  To “hope in God’s mercy” as I lead my life and try to correct any missteps along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment