Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jonah 3:1-10

I don't get to mass every day during Lent.  In fact, I rarely get to mass more than every Sunday during Lent.  That is no more often than at any other time of year.  However, I do try to look at the readings on a daily basis with a bit more regularity.  Today's readings very directly reflect on the continuing theme of proclaiming things that matter.

The Old Testament reading for the Catholic mass today was the third chapter of Jonah verses 1-10.  This is the part of the book of Jonah in which he has decided to become obedient.  In it, it is clear that Jonah is proclaiming what God has asked of him and then that the people of Nineveh proclaim their repentance.  Perfect examples of how doing what we are supposed to focus on brings pleasure to God.  Later in the Gospel reading for today, Jesus mentions Jonah and the Ninevites and talks about the need to repent.  Again, the need to focus.  The need to proclaim rather than mumble.  The need to "be all that you can be" when it comes to what is most important.  And--pretty much to not be--to the things that are not important.

I am coming to grips with the fact that my approach to my career from 1996 though 2011, i.e., spreading myself over so many activities and doing them all just oka,y is really not anywhere nearly as good as choosing a subset of those activities and making sure that I do them as well as I possibly can.  And, along the way help others be their best in any way I can.  I can't always help others--but identifying where I can make the biggest difference is part of giving my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment