Monday, February 27, 2012

Proclaiming (Mark 1:12-15)

The Catholic mass Gospel for Sunday February 26 was Mark 1:12-15.  In this reading, it was stated that "Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God."  Father Sam made a big deal of this point.  That Jesus was proclaiming the Gospel after going out for 40 days to find himself.  It's funny, I never really thought of our Savior going on a retreat to the desert to find himself but the analogy seems reasonable.  In any case, the emphasis on proclaiming something after he spent time finding himself was on Jesus having "fire in his belly".  In other words--focus  In other words--finding something so important he had to proclaim it.  The distinction between proclaiming and mumbling.

As i look ahead to the remainder of Lent and the remainder of my life, I think about what I find sufficiently important to proclaim and what I choose to mumble about--either literally or figuratively.  I think that the things that I only mumble about should be re-assessed.  And either raised to the status of something I want to proclaim OR left behind. So that I can focus on the things that I want to proclaim to the world.  Sometimes in word.  Even moreso in action.

Let my actions proclaim what is most important to me and let me be judged based on that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment