Thursday, June 21, 2012

Turning Myself Over

When I got my tattoo--I let go of all control, relaxed my body, and turned myself over to the tattoo artist because I wanted the best outcome.

When I get a therapeutic massage, I let go of all control, relax my body, and turn myself over to the massage therapist.  I want to get the most out of the massage and let the therapist do what she needs to do.

When I give blood, I let go of all control, relax my arm, and turn myself over to the phlebotomist.  I want to make the experience as efficient and as uneventful as possible.

When I go to the dentist, I turn my mouth over to the hygienist or dentist.  I mostly just want to be done, but I know that cooperating helps to minimize the time required.

Why are all these examples, I am turning myself over to optimize the outcome.  What does God want me to do?  As far as I can tell--turn my whole self (body, arm, bood, teeth, etc.) over to God.

Why?  To follow in His ways and achieve the best outcome.

Why is that so hard?  While I know that I could not replace the tattoo artist, the massage therapist, the phlebotomist; and the dentist/hygienist.  Each of them is dealing with a physical part of my body for a relatively short time.

When I am dealing with handing my being over to God, it is my whole self.  it is a mystery to whom I am turning myself over.  And, when all is said and done, while I know I don't have the skills of any of the four types of individuals, I may think that my judgment can replace Gods.  God doesn't undertand people today.  God doesn't have to deal with the repercussions if things get ugly and I'm still trusting in God.  It is not too hard to think that we have a better judgment than God does.

Moving forward, I only see myself trying to make sure that I turn myself over to God or God's representatives here on earth in the same way that I turn myself over to certain service providers.  The goal will be to maximize the positive experiences in my life.  I simply have to trust that good will come when I walk in the ways of the Lord.  

No comments:

Post a Comment