Monday, June 11, 2012

Another race, another number, another thought


So, the 2012 Baltimore 10 Mile race is this weekend. I ran this race for the first time last year.  It is a nice race and it looks like it will be cooler this year.  Awesome.

I found out my bib number already: 1352.  Where does this lead me?  Hebrews 13, verse 5, 2 verses.  From the NABRE:


5 Let your life be free from love of money but be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never forsake you or abandon you.”
6 Thus we may say with confidence:
“The Lord is my helper,
[and] I will not be afraid.
What can anyone do to me?”

As I prepare for a race, the focus on the race--not much else in life other than keeping up with family and necessary work responsibilities.  But the race is not about money or in most cases to the glory; the race is not about not anyone else, not anything else.  The focus on the race itself is pure.  And I can be content with what I have in other aspects of my life.  And I know that God will not forsake or abandon me as I run.  He is always there.  Sometimes I forget and am distraught and unable to keep up, but ultimately I realize God is always there and that the presence of God can help me to carry on.   I know the Lord is my helper and I will try very hard not to be afraid of whatever may come.  As we say in the serenity prayer, "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change and the courage to accept the things I can."  And I have to believe that with God on my side everything will work out okay-in each race and in life-in the long run. Even if sometimes I do not understand how things are working when they clearly are.   

No comments:

Post a Comment