Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Wisdom of Kenny Rogers

Kenny Rogers once sang in The Gambler "You gotta know when to hold 'em/Know when to fold 'em". In light of everything I've been writing about wisdom and patience and running recently, I am now at a post-race stage where wisdom is JUST AS IMPORTANT. In the days since my most wonderful marathon, I have rested, run, and rested. Today is another day of rest. Tomorrow may also be.

My legs have still felt sore off and on through yesterday. And they are clearly not back to 100% quite yet today. Monday when I did go out for a three mile run with Back on My Feet, I felt a little tweak in my knee that I continued to feel throughout the day Monday and yesterday. This morning, so far, I'm not feeling it. That is a very hopeful sign.

However, I need to make sure not to rush back out to run 5 or 10 miles and not to rush back out onto the track. The wisdom and patience now is to get back to running at all. Sometimes running smart means knowing when NOT to run as knowing how to run wisely.

I really want to run. My body thrives on running. And I hope that this winter, I can also do other exercises that will be just as exciting and just as fulfilling. But the key is to understand the importance of balance. Just like a work-life balance. Just like a balance between my spiritual needs and other needs. Just like a balance between family-oriented and self-oriented non-work activities.

Balance in my running. Balance in my life. The balance promoted by Kenny Rogers's sung wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment