Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Recent thoughts on running

The other day I wrote about return on investment in mentoring. I am making an investment in many people. Especially my sons. Sunday just passed, my 11 year old and I ran a 5K to benefit the Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training. This was his sixth 5K. A lot of people were asking him if it was his first. He did well. I thought it was pretty cool that he ran part of the Baltimore Running Festival Marathon course. I hope that someday while I can still run that distance he will choose to run that distance with me. It would be a great accomplishment to have a father and son (and perhaps two sons as I also hope that Daniel will join me some day) run the marathon.

Then, on Monday, I ran 7 miles by myself (nothing unusual there) when it was already pretty warm at 6:30 AM. I was drenched in sweat when I was done, but described it as exhilarating--having run it at an average pace of 8:16. I have rarely described running in very high temperatures as exhilarating and have since gotten a haircut so that I will sweat less. However, when all is said and done, I think that it is, in part, due to my overall comfort with running at this point. Having been back into this for over 5 years with three half marathon races, one marathon, and a variety of other raes under my belt, I find the joy that I feel (and the pleasure I feel God takes in my running) to be truly exhilarating. It is a wonderful feeling that I would not trade for anything. Yes, the heat is exhausting in some cases. Yes, I feel incredibly sweaty. But it is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment