Sunday, June 19, 2011

More Bible Verses and Bib Numbers

So, today I ran my second race of the weekend. I call this weekend the "Split Half Marathon"--the 10 miler yesterday and a 5K (or an additional 3.1 miles) today. Today's run was 21:22--making the combination of runs (1:13:09 plus 21:22) 1:34:31. I wish I could run that in an actual race. Perhaps someday.

In any case, the past two days emphasize the lesson discussed in my last Bib Number and Bible Verses Entry: physical isn't everything and following Jesus's teachings is important. Today, my race number was 201. For this, I turn to John 20:1, "On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb."

Why is this relevant, particularly after the run rather than before? Well, Mary was taking care of details and was extremely surprised and wondered at what she had found. Running is very much about taking care of details. Taking care of making sure that everything gets done. Taking care of careful exercises. Taking care of stretching. Taking care of cross training. Taking care of all the details to make sure I run a healthy race. And, I do sometimes get surprised and wonder at the results I get. Life is full of wonder.

The wonder of this weekend came from the just running and feeling God's presence. God's presence with me as I was on the courses. God's presence in my efforts to set an example. God's presence in my efforts to share with others. Running is still a goal driven activity for me. But running is also a joyful activity. And I hope to continue to be able to describe it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment